New Food Raw Material approval has been a major concern for overseas/domestic food producers and exporters/importers that want to sell their products in China.
In general, food ingredients that are not traditionally consumed, derived or separated from animals, plants and microorganisms as well as newly developed substances are regarded as New Food Raw Materials in China.
Foods with any food ingredients that are considered as New Food Raw Material are not permitted to enter the Chinese market without a prior approval by NHFPC. A large number of products has failed to pass CIQ inspection due to the unapproved New Food Raw Materials.
NHFPC has developed a detailed system for New Food Raw Material registration and is gradually issuing the approved ingredients. So far there are more than 120 new food raw materials approved by NHFPC in China.
In 2017, NHFPC has approved the following 10 new food raw materials:
- Shea butter (Sheanut oil, Shea oil) 乳木果
- Zeaxanthin (3R,3’R)-二羟基-β-胡萝卜素
- Borojo powder 宝乐果粉
- Sialic acid N-乙酰神经氨酸
- Cis-15-Tetracosenoic Acid 顺-15-二十四碳烯酸
- Aqueous Extract of Seed of Broccoli西兰花种子水提物
- Rice bran fatty alcohol 米糠脂肪烷醇 Daily intake limitation ≤ 300mg/day
- Gamma-linolenic Acid Oilγ-亚麻酸油脂（来源于刺孢小克银汉霉）
- Calcium β- hydroxy -β- methyl butyrate（CaHMB）β-羟基-β-甲基丁酸钙
- Lithocarpus litseifolius folium 木姜叶柯